Sunday, September 14, 2014

My Favorite Lemon Bars


I've used this recipe forever. On occasion I have tried other lemon bar recipes and then wonder why I did. These, in my humble opinion, are the best. Flat out. No need to search any longer.

Here is where the original recipe came from:


My mom gave this to me when I got married... pert near 27 years ago. It's been well used and well loved, can you tell? (That cover page isn't actually ON the cookbook - I just keep it because I'm an obsessive compulsive memorabilia keeper on a sentimental journey - haha.)

Here's a glimpse of the actual recipe:


Have I mentioned I'm a messy baker? If not, I confess. I am. Did the cookbook page give it away?
A big THANK YOU to Ida and Nyla (don't you love those names?)!


Here is a slightly modified, simpler-to-read recipe for

MY FAVORITE LEMON BARS

2 cups flour
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup (2 cubes) butter (I have NO IDEA what "oleo" is!), slightly softened
Pinch of salt

Blend well together (I use a pastry blender) and pat into a foil-lined 9x13" pan. Bake at 300 degrees for 15 minutes.

4 eggs, slightly beaten
6 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
grated rind of 2 lemons (or more)
2 cups sugar
5 Tbs. flour
1 tsp. baking powder

Mix eggs, lemon juice, and grated lemon rind in a small bowl. In a medium bowl, sift together sugar, flour, and baking powder. Add the egg and lemon mixture to the flour mixture, then pour on baked crust and bake an additional 25 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, lift out of pan, and cut into bars.


Notes:  (1) A friend of mine mentioned that she puts the lemon rind in the crust mixture. I have tried it, but felt like the rind adds more flavor in the filling. If you have plenty of lemon rind, you could add some to both. I love a TART lemon bar, so might try that the next time I make them.

(2) This recipe is oh-so-similar to Paula Deen's, which is where I learned about the foil-lined pan. The foil totally makes cutting them into perfect bars so much easier (and the delectable edges don't get stuck to the sides of the pan). That's a hot tip.

(3) I can't tell you how many times I have burned myself on the pre-baked crust pan. Remember that it just came out of an oven. It's hot. Once you've pour on your cold-ish filling it's easy to forget. Just sayin'.

Enjoy a mouth full of sunshine!

2 comments:

  1. http://www.copykat.com/2010/05/03/copykat-answers-what-is-oleo/

    oleo is actually margarine made from vegetable oil!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have express a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style of blogging. I added it to my favorite’s blog site list and will be checking back soon… Networth

    ReplyDelete